Regardless of whether the basement of your home is finished or unfinished, it is always preferable to install basement windows in your home. They allow for fresh air and natural light to fill your basement as well as give it a more stylish and modern look.
The following article will discuss the importance of windows for your basement as well as give you some insight as to which style will be the best for the basement of your home. It is recommended to add this process as part of your regular windows and doors replacement.
Main Advantages of Basement Windows
- Basement window replacement will allow for natural light to fill your basement. This can save your money on your energy costs, as you can turn off your lights during the day and only rely on artificial lighting during the evening.
- Basement windows are a great way to let fresh air circulate your basement, as basements tend to be musty due to high humidity levels. This can also prevent mold growth on your windows as well as in your basement.
- Double or triple pane basement windows add energy efficiency to your home, as they keep cold air from entering during the winter and keep the hot air out during the summer. This too can lower your energy bills.
- Stylish basement windows can add value to your home and improve your curb appeal.
- Basement egress windows are required by law in Canada as a means of safe escape during a fire or other suchlike emergencies.
Popular Basement Window Designs
Now that you know why basement windows are an important addition to your home, here are some of the most commonly installed basement windows in Canada.
Sliding Basement Windows
Sliding windows are a popular choice for those looking to install windows in their basement, as they are easy to open and maintain. They open easily via a track, which makes them a great way to let fresh air flow into your basement. Moreover, their sleek design will give your home a contemporary feel. This style of windows can be installed in both fully and partially above ground basements.
Double Hung Basement Windows
Double hung windows are a great choice for those basements that are fully above ground due to their size. They are an exceptional source of both sunlight and ventilation. In addition, they can be custom designed to fit your specifications, as they come in many grid options and colors. They are a stylish and practical addition to your basement.
Picture Basement Windows
If your basement is a focal point of your home, you might want to opt for picture windows. Not only will they make your basement appear larger, but they will also allow for the greatest amount of natural light. Keep in mind that they are fixed, so they will not open. If fresh air is also a must, you can have them installed with another style of windows, such as casement windows. As a bonus, picture windows provide a clear view of your stunning outdoor space. This style of windows is best suited for totally above ground basements.
Awning Basement Windows
If your basement is partially above ground, awning windows might be the best option. They can also be installed in fully above ground basements, but they are ideal for hard-to-reach areas. They open conveniently outward via a hinge at the top, so they are a good source of air flow. In addition, their design will prevent rain, snow, and the like from entering your home.
Casement Basement Windows
The National Building Code of Canada (NBCC) requires that every home in Canada must have at least one egress style window in every bedroom as well as the basement. Casement windows meet the regulations for this window style in most cases and are, therefore, a popular choice for basement windows.
Casement windows are similar to awning windows except they are hinged at the side instead of the top. This makes them an ideal style for egress windows due to their ease of operation As such, casement windows allow for both natural light and ample airflow to enter any room of your home, including the basement.
Optima Windows and Doors offers an extensive selection of window designs and materials. Call us today for an estimate as well as advice on what style of basement windows is best for your home.